Top 10 Rules for Great Tasting Steaks
1. Buy top quality: Sustainable Prime or Choice aged beef at least one-inch thick.
2. Buy your steaks a couple days before you plan to cook, store loosely wrapped in waxed paper or plastic wrap to allow evaporation and concentrate the flavors.
3. Season with kosher salt at least 90 minutes before cooking (longer for cuts 1” thick or thicker). Refrigerate.
4. For steaks more than 1-inch thick remove from refrigerator about an hour before cooking. Thinner steak should stay in the refrigerator until you are ready to grill so that they don’t overcook.
5. Pat dry with paper towels. Massage with olive oil and crushed garlic.
6. #1 FLAVOR KEY: Cooking on very HIGH heat to sear both sides to develop a brown crust. Use gas, charcoal or a heavy cast iron pan.
7. Never leave the grill unattended, besides who wants to cook alone.
8. Check regularly, using the finger test to check for doneness. It should have some resistance for rare the more done you like it the firmer the steak will feel firm.
9. Cover with a foil tent and rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Don’t seal the ends you want the steam to escape.
10. Serve on warm plates with your favorite sea salt.
On Food and Cooking the Science and Lore of the Kitchen, Harold McGee, 2004
Beef & Veal, the Editors of Time-Life Books, 1979
The Barbeque Bible, Steven Raichlen, 1998
Copyright © Julie Logue Riordan, Cooking with Julie