Cultivate your Senses
Mondays and Tuesdays
Time: 8:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Discover the edible side of Napa. Learn about the region's celebrated foods and wines.
Julie offers intimate tours of the Oxbow Public Market followed by a cooking class; an indoor market featuring local produce and artisan foods in downtown Napa. I'll give you tips on how to select, store, and prepare the local seasonal produce. California wines are paired with the menu. The tour is followed by a hands-on cooking class and three-course lunch.
Savor the morning at the market browsing through the shops of magnificent produce, spices, charcuterie, meats and artisan cheeses with Chef Julie. You will see produce as you've never seen it before--plump, bursting with flavor. And you will find new and heirloom varieties of vegetables and fruits. We select seasonal produce ripe and mature the way nature intended for our meal.
After procuring the perfect local produce we head to the kitchen, where we don our aprons and learn how to build the flavor with our bounty in our recipes for the day. The hands-on class emphasizes theory and technique enabling you to cook better dishes. At the end of our work, we sit down to relax and savor a wine country meal together.
You will enjoy a relaxed experience filled with inspiration; great foods paired with fine wine and have fun while developing your skills and techniques.
$250 per person
Roasted Pear Salad with Blue Cheese and Almonds
Steak with Red Wine and Shallot Butter Sauce
Pan Grilled Hen of the Woods
Russian Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo Picada
Hanger Steak with Fresh Oregano, Sage and Rosemary Rub
Potato Wedges with Romesco
Blood Orange Tart
• Check the Cooking Classes/Calendar page for available dates.
• Oxbow Public Market Tour classes are offered on some Mondays and Tuesdays from January to May; and September through December.
• What To Expect: Great cooking isn't about recipes—it's about techniques. In our classes, you'll work together with other students in a fun, hands-on environment.
You will work with other students in groups of 2 or 3
Hands-on classes are limited to 9 students
You will be standing, cooking and working for most of the class
Please wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes and have long hair tied back
Cooking with Julie's recipes are developed using common cooking and baking ingredients that may or may not be specified in the menu titles, including various fruits and vegetables, nuts, meats, spices, wheat flours, etc. If you have a food allergy, please let us know before attending the class. Adjustments to recipes cannot be made during class.
• Transportation between the various locations is not included. If you need transportation contact Julie to arrange it.
• The fee $250 per person includes a market tour, hands-on participation cooking class, 3-course lunch paired with California wines, as well as a Cooking with Julie logo apron and recipe booklet.
• The classes start at 8:45 a.m. and ends at about 2:30 p.m.
• The class size is limited to 8 guests.
• There's plenty of free parking at the market and kitchen.
• If you wish to have someone join the meal with you but is not able to attend the class the fee is $125.
Meeting location for Oxbow Public Market Tour and Hands-on Cooking class:
Meet at Ritual Coffee:
Oxbow Public Market
610 1st St
Napa, CA 94559-2611
"There is no better way to get to the heart of any city than through its cuisine. And that means not just eating it, but shopping for it, cooking it and beginning to understand it." Taylor Holliday, New York Times.