At this time of year my thoughts turn gratefully to those who have made it possible for me to do what I love. Your enthusiasm, love of exploring, cooking and sharing around the table inspires me. Thank you, may your holidays and New Year be filled with joy, love and sharing around the table.
May 19-26, 2019
Sicilian Journey... seductive foods and ancient wonders
Join me on a culinary expedition in Sicily, anchored in the crossroads of the Mediterranean that has seduced travellers with its dazzling diversity of landscapes and culinary treasures. For almost three thousand years, Sicily was invaded by such powerful civilizations as the Greeks, Romans, Arabs, French and Spanish, all of whom left their lasting mark on its art, architecture and cuisine.
We begin our Sicilian adventure in the island’s western-most port town of Trapani, bounded by two seas and snuggled at the foot of Mount Erice. You’ll enjoy some of the world’s most beautiful sunsets with an aperitivo here on the portico. Trapani's unique position on the sea route to the Mediterranean busiest ports makes it the perfect place to taste the soul of Sicily’s distinctive cuisine. With our hands-on classes, you’ll learn to make traditional Sicilian dishes just like nonna.
You’ll meet charming artisans who produce Sicily’s unique salt, cheese, olive oil and wine. A hands-on class at a famed pastry shop will show us the secrets the famed Sicilian desserts plus we’ll visit the local fish market and butcher, and savor a traditional Sicilian barbeque overlooking the ancient Greek temple of Segesta.
We’ll spend two days in Palermo, the capital of Sicily, one of the worlds’ most multi-cultural and fascinating cities. Here we’ll focus on authentic traditional cuisine rather than haute cuisine, exploring the city’s ancient food market, sampling street food from market stalls to taste the cornucopia of sun ripened vegetables and fruits grown in volcanic soils for more intense flavor, and enjoy the freshest seafood in the Mediterranean. A feast of the senses isn’t just about food: we’ll enjoy an evening concert at the fabulous Teatro Massimo opera house.
No place on earth offers such a bounty of food rooted in only serving what is fresh. I hope you can join me at the table as we relish this well balanced and extremely flavorful cuisine!
Week-long immersion in Sicily’s unique food traditions, including the island’s distinctive extra-virgin olive oils, wines and local cheeses.
• Journey through the authentic local markets of Palermo and Trapani
• Taste mineral-tinged sea salt from the source at Trapani’s salt pans
• Explore one of the small islands just off the coast with a boat trip
• Understand the importance of pristine ingredients with visits to a fish market, and artisan butcher, and cheese maker
• Step back in time with guided tours of ancient cities of Trapani, and Palermo, plus the medieval hilltop town of Erice,
• Indulge in Sicily’s fondness for sweets with a hands-on class at the famed La Pasticceria Maria Grammatico.
• Unlock the secrets of Sicilian cuisine through hands-on cooking classes with Julie at the villa
• Delight the senses with in an evening concert at the fabulous Teatro Massimo opera house.
• Savor the magic of Sicily’s fertile soil and long, cloudless summers with exclusive winery tours and tastings pair with lunch
• Includes 7 nights’ accommodations, with en suite bathroom. Accommodations are in a downtown boutique hotel for Palermo and a historic villa in Trapani.
• Includes all meals (including local wine), travel services with the tour itinerary, service charges and VAT
Transportation is provided for you to and from Palermo Airport.
$4500 Price per person based on double occupancy
$5000 Price for a single room
Prices include: accommodations, three meals per the day, all cooking instruction, tours, tastings, and ground transportation during the program. Airfare is not included. Prices subject to change without notice.
Deposits and Payment Information
A $1,500 deposit per person is required to reserve your space. A reservation will not be considered confirmed until we receive the deposit, reservation form and have a minimum of 6 reservations.
To reserve your spot contact Julie for the reservation form--fill it out, and return it to Julie along with your deposit to 1039 La Quinta Ct., Napa, California 94559.
8 days of la dolce vita is limited to 10 guests.
Email email@example.com or call Julie for check for availability @ 707.227.5036.
Please note:accommodations for special food needs may not be possible. Due to the nature this trip, we are not ADA compliant, and we cannot accept guests requiring accessibility.
Please contact Julie@cookingwithJulie for accommodation information.
Transportation & Transfers: Airfare is not included. From/to Florence Train Station or Florence Airport is included.